How can I stop my guitar strings squeaking?
It is common for guitar strings to squeak when sliding the fingers up and down the fretboard. There are several ways you can prevent - or at least reduce - this squeaking noise.
1) Clean/lubricate your strings with Fast Fret guitar string cleaner
2) Regularly use "The Swipe" - a suede-like cleaning product
3) Change your strings! Old strings tend to squeak more than new strings
4) Change from roundwound to halfwound, flatwound or tapewound strings. These are more expensive than regular roundwound strings but are much smoother and are popular with Jazz guitarists.
5) Try coated strings - again they are more expensive, but are smoother, tarnish less and last longer. Some guitarists rave about them, some don't. Try them and decide for yourself!